Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Good source for old home movies (Aside from eBay)?

  1. #1
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    For my next project, I'm thinking of doing something that'll incorporate footage taken from old home movies. Aside from eBay, are there any good sources for obtaining old S8 home movies on/offline? Or are eBay and old thrift shops my only option?

    Any replies appreciated.

    Tom

  2. #2
    Inactive Member mcarter4121's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2001
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Harry Hilfinger of

    ESO-S PICTURES
    P.O. Box 30158
    Kansas City, MO 64112

    Sold me a few miles worth that were superb, clean, wrapped professionally... very nice. Don't know if he has any more but it is worth a try.

    Ask for his inventory sheet. He only deals in snail mail and paper communications although I have called him: 816-931-0770

    That said, I still have his and more than a few other's collections of home movies on S8 and on R8 mostly. I have a GENERAL idea of content only. Some have been transferred already and are archived on Hi-8mm tape. I could make a VHS copy for you.
    I even have a old R8mm medical film called "Birth" for OBGYN students. Imagine...1946 B&W

  3. #3
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    Thanks for the information!

    Three things, though:

    1. ESO-S doesn't charge for the inventory sheet,
    am I correct?

    2. If you're still willing, I'd like to have a
    VHS copy of whatever home movies you have
    archived on Hi-8mm. Why don't you email
    me privately and maybe we can work
    something out.

    3. Generally speaking, what's the content
    of these films? Anything interesting
    or is it the usual stuff (Christmas,
    vacations, etc.)?

    Thanks again!

    Tom

  4. #4
    Inactive Member mcarter4121's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2001
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ESO DID charge for the movies. I think they were $3 each for 100 feet or .03 cents a foot.

    I used to charge .06 cents a foot to transfer them to video. Add the cost of tapes to that, archive on Hi-8 and a copy on VHS at the same time. Duplicate VHS tapes were, I think, $12 each.

  5. #5
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    I figured that ESO-S charged for the actual film--I was just wondering if they charged a fee for their inventory sheet.

    Tom

  6. #6
    Inactive Member mcarter4121's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2001
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    No, no fee; it is only a few little papers densely packed with typing. It really was a surprisingly good source of supplies.
    I got some old R8 titles in small boxes with the film strips rolled up, countdown leaders, all sorts of stuff besides the home movies.

    Michael

  7. #7
    Inactive Member mcarter4121's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2001
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Today Steve gave me a 200 foot reel of Regular8mm film. It was titled on/in the film, "Palm Springs 1945" and it is all Kodachrome and no scratches.
    So, I bought a magnifying lens and a GE light meter type PR-1 because I also have a copy of the instructions for it, but I had sold the meter some years ago to a film student at Pitt.
    The film was transferred using the Goko. The film was shrunk a little for the first third and jittered some; it smoothed out later. Color is great.
    My favorite shot is of a club in the daytime with old cars passing and parked outside.
    This one will get transferred using the WorkPrinter for rock solid images.

    Steve gave it to me because of the other old home movie I had transferred last week. It was put onto VHS tape and I let him take it home with him to watch. I swear, it must have been him in there showing off a new Pompadour hair style in front of a 50's big car. McKeesport is shown and a parade. It has great long shots of father and son in front of their car, some street scenes on the old city. That's the stuff I look for. Shots that show their age.

    Oh yea, there's a old western parade in the other one, too.

    The movies are being archived onto CD disks for future copies to be made.

  8. #8
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    Well, I just got Harry Hilfinger's inventory sheets today and Super 8 home movies are still available--$4 for a 200' reel, Kodachrome or B&W. I put in an order for ten reels.

    Tom

  9. #9
    Inactive Member mcarter4121's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2001
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Have your note pad ready so you can make a shot log.

    How will you transfer them? Or will you finish on film just using an editor?

    My Raid set worked and I'll be transferring soon.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member mcarter4121's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2001
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Let's see:
    $4/200 ft = 15min
    $8 per half hour
    $32 for a two hour VHS tape

    Not counting tape costs or transfer fees or mailing.

    Staying on film would be the best or cheapest way to make a project of the films.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •